- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Is Sexual Orientation Determined at Birth?"
“It is clear, however, that for many people sexual orientation is not a matter of conscious choice but is constitutional and therefore not subject to change. It is also true that for some, sexual orientation may be a matter of conscious choice.”
Central Conference of American Rabbis, “Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Homosexuality and the Rabbinate,” available at www.ccarnet.org, 1990
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
“The CCAR, founded in 1889, is the oldest and largest rabbinic organization in North America. It projects a powerful voice in the religious life of the American and international Jewish communities. The CCAR’s unique contribution to a continued vibrant Jewish community and Reform Movement lies in its work fostering excellence in Reform Rabbis; enhancing unity and connectedness among Reform Jews; applying Jewish values to a contemporary life; and, creating a compelling and accessible Judaism for today and the future.”
“About the CCAR,” www.ccarnet.org (accessed Feb. 3, 2012)
“The CCAR enriches and strengthens the Jewish community by empowering Reform Rabbis to provide religious, spiritual and organizational leadership as it:
- Fosters excellence in Reform Rabbis
- Enhances Reform Rabbis’ professional and personal lives
- Amplifies the voice of the Reform Rabbinate in the Reform Movement, the Jewish community and the world in which we live.”
“Mission Statement,” www.ccarnet.org, Jan. 17, 2008
- 509(a)(2) private foundation