- Pro to the question "Is Sexual Orientation Determined at Birth?"
“[In England and the United States] all our traditions and all our moral ideals, as well as the law, are energetically opposed to every manifestation of homosexual passion. It requires a very strong impetus to go against this compact social force which on every side constrains the individual into the paths of heterosexual love. That impetus, in a well-bred individual who leads the normal life of his fellow-men and who feels the ordinary degree of respect for the social feeling surrounding him, can only be supplied by a fundamental—usually, it is probably, inborn,—perversion of the sexual instinct, rendering the individual organically abnormal.”
Cowritten with John Addington Symonds, Sexual Inversion, 1897
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to human sexuality. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to human sexuality.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Former staff member, Westminster Review
- Former member, Fellowship of New Life
- Founder, Fabian Group
- MD, St. Thomas’s Hospital (Southwark, United Kingdom)
- Died on July 8, 1939
- Legal name was Henry Havelock Ellis
- Ellis was aware that his wife engaged in lesbian relationships during their marriage
- Confessed to a fascination with women urinating in his autobiography My Life