- Medical psychoanalyst and former faculty of New York Medical College
- Con to the question "Is Sexual Orientation Determined at Birth?"
“A considerable amount of data supporting Rado’s assumption has been presented as evidence that fear of heterosexuality underlies homo sexuality, e.g., the frequent fear of disease or injury to the genitals, significantly associated with fear and aversion to female genitalia; the frequency and depth of anxiety accompanying actual or contemplated heterosexual behavior.
We have described the specific types of disturbed parent-child relationships which have promoted fear of heterosexuality (discussed in psychodynamic detail later on) and we have emphasized throughout these chapters the role of parents in the homosexual outcome. The data have also demonstrated that many of the homosexuals in our sample showed evidences of heterosexual interest and desire manifested in dreams, fantasies, and attempts at heterosexual activity.
The capacity to adapt homosexually is, in a sense, a tribute to man’s biosocial resources in the face of thwarted heterosexual goal achievement. Sexual gratification is not renounced; instead, fears and inhibitions associated with heterosexuality are circumvented and sexual responsivity with pleasure and excitement to a member of the same sex develops as a pathologic alternative.”
Homosexuality: A Psychoanalytic Study,/i>, 1962
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
MD's and PhD's in psychology, with significant post-doctorate involvement in human sexuality issues. [Note: Key Experts definition varies by sites that have this designation.]
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Former Professor Emeritus in the psychology department, New York Medical College
- Former faculty, New York University
- Former Fellow in Neurology, Yale Medical College
- Founding Member, American Academy of Psychoanalysis
- Founding Member, The Society of Medical Psychoanalysts
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha
- Trained as a psychoanalyst at the New York Psychoanalytic Institute
- Trained as a neurologist and psychiatrist at Bellevue Hospital
- MD, New York University Medical College, 1930
- BA, New York University
- Born: 1908
- Died: Aug. 1991